Thursday, May 07, 2009

Puck and other servers hosted at USA Datanet have been down since 3pm on May 7th. I left a message with their tech support department but have not yet received a call back.

It is unclear whether this outage is related to the recent acquisition of USA Datanet's operations by WVT Communications. According to the customer service representative I spoke to, WVT has not made any decision to discontinue any existing USA Datanet services.

**Update 5/7 10:30pm EDT:

While puck is down, our backup mail servers are holding all incoming mail indefinitely. No mail will be lost during this outage.

Due to the uncertain future of USA Datanet's facilities, I will be moving puck to a new data center as soon as I can obtain access to retrieve our hardware.

**Update 5/8 9:45am EDT:

I spoke with a tech at USAD who confirmed that our equipment was disconnected and powered down as they were unable to identify the owner. (Most of the techs at USAD have quit since the bankruptcy filing, including all of the people who knew who we were.) He offered to power up the equipment for the weekend and I agreed to come take it out on Monday. Puck should be up within the next two hours.

**Update 5/8 11:45am EDT:

Puck has been back up for a few minutes. The 10,000 (!) emails queued up on our backup mail servers are slowly flowing in.