Friday, May 08, 2009

Moving puck

As I mentioned in my update to yesterday's post, WVT is not interested in continuing to provide us co-lo space for free. While I've been planning for a while to move puck to a data center located more convenient to me, this provided me the incentive I needed to get the job done.

Unfortunately, I can't pick up puck and move it directly to the new data center, since USAD has two-post racks and the new DC has four-post racks. Rather than spending $150 to buy new rails for the existing hardware, I'll be replacing the hardware entirely, which means I need to wait a week or so for Dell to ship me a new server.

Until I have the new hardware, puck will be living in the rack in my basement. During that time, the upstream link will be limited to 2 Mbps. As soon as the new hardware arrives, I'll move puck into the new DC.

So here's the plan:
  • On Monday (May 11th) between 3pm and 4pm I'll arrive in Syracuse to shut down puck and load it in my car.
  • Late Monday night when I get home, I'll install puck into the rack in my basement and bring it online. Everything will be operational except that the data rates between puck and the Internet will be limited to the speed of my cable modem.
  • The week of the 18th, when the new hardware arrives, I'll make another announcement here of what day and time I will next shut down puck to upgrade the hardware and move it to a new data center. That should be a shorter outage.
If you have any questions, you know where to find me.